Author Topic: Diabolo-Day in Mechelen, Belgium  (Read 12504 times)

Martijn

Diabolo-Day in Mechelen, Belgium
« on: June 01, 2005, 06:59:36 am »
Hey everyone, Arjan and I (and many others, lol) went to the 'Diabolo-Day' in Mechelen, Belgium. Tony and Trash were there too. They performed at the show, and did a few worldrecord attempts! These are the results (the official records, so that means they'll come in the Guinnes book of records, if I'm correct):

- Trash: 3d low (synch shuffle): 5:30 minutes.
- Tony: 3d high (with a 3up 360 [4440] in the end): 3:20 minutes.
- Tony: 4d high: 35 seconds / 65 catches.
- Tony: 5d high (2 passed by Martin from Belgium): 6 throws / 1 catch.

sorry for the shaky view (probably the wrong word :P) sometimes, but keeping your camera still for several minutes on a worldrecord is not an easy job :wink:

=> http://66.49.236.16/diabolo/mechelen.mpg
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 07:26:23 am »
What!? Nobody broke Niels' sticks last time! How much longer are we going to let this kid progress?  :shock:.... ;)  Wow.

Thanks for the video Martijn. Over 5 minutes of 3 low and over 3 minutes of 3 high. That's hardcore. Tony's 4 diabolo pattern makes me sick.

I remember discussing 3 diabolo endurance with Ryo Yabe once and he told me he had done 3 low for over 10 minutes. It would be interesting to get him to do a video attempt at an endurance record.

The conditions for a Guiness record are pretty strict and I think they usually require prior notification and certain witnesses. They don't even list ball juggling records anymore. Unfortunately, I doubt they'd care about diabolo records, although it would be very cool if they did.

Impressive guys. Very impressive. Congratulations to Tony and Trash for those great times.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 10:20:48 am »
Quote from: Sean
The conditions for a Guiness record are pretty strict and I think they usually require prior notification and certain witnesses. They don't even list ball juggling records anymore. Unfortunately, I doubt they'd care about diabolo records, although it would be very cool if they did.

They don't put the records in there anymore, you're right.  I think the last edition they did put them in was 2000 I believe (my lil brother is collecting back issues, I'll have a look).  Nearly all of them said Gatto, of Albert Lucas and were really old.  I think the nearest thing to diabolo that is in there is World's Largest Yoyo, great day for humanity that.

Our university tried to break our old world record for the longest mexican wave tequila slamshot last year which required us to each properly do a slamming motion in turn with each one recorded by a video camera.  Took bloody ages.  No official adjudicator, but that's what they told us to do.  Over 700 people though,

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 10:52:50 am »
nice vid, Niels rocks.
Sean: i believe there were some officials there, watching the event. Not sure if they were guiness, but Tijn says they were official.

As for juggling records in the book... They have a stupid amount of records in their database, and only a small portion can go into the annual book. So they try to mix it up a bit and include different things from year to year. They keep in the 'important' ones like oldest person, tallest person, biggest schlong, or any amazing achievment like sailing round the world, they also try to keep it reasonably recent. But then change the rest all the time. I believe next years one should have juggling in again.

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 11:03:48 am »
Ahh Tijn you're obviously not a hardcore camera man, try keepin the camera still for a mates 1hour funk n soul gig...damn thats hard on the arms  :wink:

Nice vid anyway, still kind of annoyed that a 10 year old can pick up 3 diabs so much faster than me tho  :lol:

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 11:21:09 am »
Quote from: JGherkin
Nice vid anyway, still kind of annoyed that a 10 year old can pick up 3 diabs so much faster than me tho  :lol:

Didnt see him ripping it up with 1/2 though did you? He's probably given up on them now. If you were 10, had FAR too much free time on your hands, and only ever did 3 when you practiced, i reckon you'd get it aswell (you dont eve have to be 10)

trash

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 11:58:14 am »
thanks Martijn for the video, it was a good time there.
For the records, yes there was a official guy. In fact we did a show (Tony and me together) and just after the show we made the records (it's another show infact) (I forget the 3 workshops, too).
We know that Ryo (for me) or Alexender Xelo (for Tony) could beat our records, we can break it easily too,  (if we slept a little the night before (Tony didn't sleep, I slept 4 hours) ).

But it seams to be very expensive to have an official guy, and for us it was 'in the show'. Moreover, it's a stupid trick, but it's a great experience and the public is very excited, minute after minute. No regret.

So for now we are officially recordmans and it's a good advice for us, that's all. We did nothing new for the diabolo world  :D

Martijn did you taped the show? Because it was the first time Tony was not alone (maybe the second one will be in 2017) on a stage (but sorry guys, we didn't have the time to work a lot, so we didn't make 2-persons-tricks).

Thank U

Elmeri

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 02:18:25 pm »
Wow... That was sick... :shock:  

Niels is awensome... He has pass my 3d skills long time ago... I can´t do high...

But that was great video thaks Martijn, thrash and tony.

Martijn

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 02:50:31 pm »
Thanks for the comments! Yeah, Niels is getting really good. Just amazing, that's all I can say :) I don't know much about the Guinnes book, all that I know is that there was an 'official' guy for the records...

Quote from: trash
Martijn did you taped the show? Because it was the first time Tony was not alone (maybe the second one will be in 2017) on a stage (but sorry guys, we didn't have the time to work a lot, so we didn't make 2-persons-tricks).

I'm sorry, I haven't taped your show. I just enjoyed the show... no videocam. But I'll ask for people if they filmed it. I'll let you know!

P.S. The show was amazing! We didn't even notice those few drops :wink:
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

ming

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 04:19:12 pm »
Quote from: trash
We know that Ryo (for me) or Alexender Xelo (for Tony) could beat our records

Which record of tony's could alex beat?

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 05:36:46 pm »
I believe Trash was talking about the 4 high self start record.  Still pretty damn good, that level of skill, who would have thunk it 5 years ago.
And who knows, maybe Niel's will grow up and find more interest in girls and miss out on diabolo altogether (though some of us have grown up and found more interest in diabolo).
Hope he keeps going, some stuff I wanna see happen with diabolo on video.

And that's some awesome stuff there, I would like to see Tony in a show with Trash (or anyone else).  Combine skills and could bash out a jaw dropping performance.  When do you think the whole MFP will meet up again with all their kit?  I love it when you're all doing high siteswaps on that monument, so many in the air....

Chiok

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 06:45:45 pm »
man is niels good, glad I'm going to the circus for the summer this weekend, lots and lots of practice time. nice job trash and tony, I get tired after like 40 seconds of three high, nevermind 3 minutes! nice video, thanks for taking it and resisting the urge to practice martijn.

-Jacob
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Ed

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 07:41:52 pm »
:shock:  Sweet Video!
Only just got round to actually watching it and it was amazing great 3 stuff from Neils, (As always!) Trash must not be able to use his arm!, My arm kills after a session of 2! Great Record and Tonys 4 Diabolo rocked! Well done you 3 some of the best Diaboloing i've ever seen!  =D>
Thanks Martijn for filming and posting that  :wink:

sander

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 09:18:28 pm »
here's a movie from this day, i filmed.
Niels is driving me crazy, what will he do when he's 25 like TMFP guy's.

i don't whant to think about it, butt i'm really scared.

http://sander.exul.nl/downloads/Diabolofilmpjes/diabolo-dag.wmv
never fear shadows, it only means there is a light shinning nearby

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 12:01:37 am »
dare i ask...

seán_

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 01:13:32 am »
Quote from: norbi
dare i ask...

You want it converting to Cine-8 right? ;)
(If you can boot from CD it might be worth looking into a live Linux distro for those must see videos)

Looks like a cool event from Martijn and Sanders videos.

Congratulations Trash and Tony on your official records

(and did anybody have a go at the current high throw record? the space age venue nearly looked high enough :) )

donald grant

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 03:52:12 pm »
Great video, congrats to all.  Especially Trash's 3 low endurance, the man must have titanium forearms!
On the subject of records, way back in the mists of time the BBC called me up about doing a diabolo record for the "Record Breakers" show.  We decided that the "high throw" record would be too hard to measure, so instead I went down and did the "2 diabolo speed" record.
Despite nailing about 210 - 215 catches per minute in practice, we had to do the filming outside at a rather windy Covent Garden.  We only got one "take" and I got a rather feeble 196.
Like many records, it never got into "the book", but if anyone wants to go for it, go for it!  I believe there are bears in Russia that can do better.....

Donald
(soon to be ex-record holder :D )

PS  No sprinklers allowed, ok!

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 04:37:57 pm »
That's a pretty damn fast shuffle to get that many in a minute.  Wonder how many you could get in a double sprinkler.

Dave P's got a fast shuffle on him from the videos I've seen when he speeds up he just pumps harder.  How fast were the diabolo's going at the end of your one?!

Chiok

donald grant

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 05:22:23 pm »
Dave P does indeed have a mega-fast shuffle and I imagine he could easily top 230 if he felt like having a go at it.  And yes, as you can imagine, they do get rather fast so long as you don't have to correct.  Luckily I was using Renegades for it: with their hard, slippery shells they're easier to correct at high speeds and also won't go into wobbly meltdown if things get a bit hairy!

Donald

Elmeri

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 05:30:14 pm »
One of the fastest shuffles I´ve ever seen is done by aaro from finland http://www.kumiankka.com/videot/4m.mpg and http://www.kumiankka.com/videot/9m.mpg that´s fast, in my opinion. And the speed, he does a triple sprinkler from his shuffle... That is sick