Author Topic: Diabolo page on wikipedia  (Read 5380 times)

barnesy

• Administrator
Diabolo page on wikipedia
« on: December 11, 2004, 12:09:37 am »
What do you guys think of this page on wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabolo

I'm intrigued to see that the 'diabolo' entry redirects to 'chinese yo-yo' - a name I don't think I'd encountered before, but which the author seems to think is the proper name.  

I think the page could do with a lot of revision, but am feeling a little too timid to take it on immediately, so thought I'd mention it here.  At least it already links to my site!  :D

seán_

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 12:31:24 am »
Yeah I had seen that a while ago, the discussion link goes into an argument about why it should be called a chinese yoyo. From the completey unscientific reasoning that their link is first I think maybe somebody from the Harvard Chinese YoYo club might have something to do with the wiki.

I followed the link and there are some videos of some chinese style moves so thats me happy. (nothing overly amazing so far but still some things I was glad to find)

Anybody wiki savvy enough to put the forum link up there?

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 12:40:40 am »
Oh, I'd missed the 'discussion' link.  Interesting stuff.

I like the look of wikipedia, but feel like I'd be wading into very deep water if I tried to get involved without spending a long while getting my head round how it all works.  

I like the idea that there's a whole 'chinese yoyo' scene going on, totally independent of the diabolo scene.   That's probably just my sense of humour working overtime though.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 12:50:48 am »
Quote from: seán_
Anybody wiki savvy enough to put the forum link up there?

Ummm... well I've never done it before, but apparently I am. ;) [OK, it doesn't take much. Just click edit and follow the structure carefully.]

Thanks for the link Barnesy. There is some serious work that could be put into that page. If, that is, anyone feels the urge to do so and feels it to be worthwhile.

Sean

Mithew

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 03:28:08 am »
i made a few changes a couple weeks ago, it just takes a lot of time, because a lot of the information is incomplete (especially the types of tricks listed, it takes way more than a few sentences to describe the basics of diabolo tricks).  Also, after i made the changes, people changed the diabolo page right back to the original, so i gave up.
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

je4d

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 01:15:15 pm »
I considered setting up a diabolowiki a while ago.. If i did, would people be interested in filling it with content (e.g. one page per trick)?  It's pretty easy, just click on one of the edit links on the wikipedia page to see how it's done.

The aim would be to make an organised copy of some of the content that's available on these forums, so newbies don't have to read all 11+ pages of the "starting 2 diabolos" thread to find what they're looking for.

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 02:07:05 pm »
That page needs alot of work. They got MFP's name wrong i think. Unless thats their full name.
As for chiese yoyo's, i knew about then years ago. A group were on telly for some new years do years ago, i think they were from chinese state circus. But  have seen the Chinese state circus live since then and they had diabolos and not chinese yoyo's.  I've had a go with half broken one the fell apart whin you dropped it. The axel was all dirty and made of bras and it made my string all mankey. It had gaps to whistle too though.  have the same picture on that page in my screensaver slideshow. I found it when i was doing some research on chinese yoyo's for the fun.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Ruff

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 03:36:58 pm »
Quote from: je4d
I considered setting up a diabolowiki a while ago.. If i did, would people be interested in filling it with content (e.g. one page per trick)?  It's pretty easy, just click on one of the edit links on the wikipedia page to see how it's done.

The aim would be to make an organised copy of some of the content that's available on these forums, so newbies don't have to read all 11+ pages of the "starting 2 diabolos" thread to find what they're looking for.

that would be superb!!!

James

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 04:21:03 pm »
Quote from: je4d

Sounds like a good idea.  If you need any help coding it I'd be glad to lend a hand

http://diabolo.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11308&highlight=#11308

;)
Step 1 - Download mIRC (http://www.mirc.com)
Step 2 - Connect to server irc.quakenet.org
Step 3 - Join channel #diabolo.ca

je4d

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 06:23:47 pm »
Quote from: James

Sounds like a good idea.  If you need any help coding it I'd be glad to lend a hand

http://diabolo.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11308&highlight=#11308

;)

Thanks for the offer James, although I wasn't actually planning on coding a wiki... that's a huge task! I was instead going to deploy a copy of MediaWiki

James

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 08:42:01 am »
Ok, but if you need any help with hosting I could be of service... ;)
Step 1 - Download mIRC (http://www.mirc.com)
Step 2 - Connect to server irc.quakenet.org
Step 3 - Join channel #diabolo.ca

seán_

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 11:20:17 pm »
Lemony made a start on a diabolo wiki a bit ago. I had a visiot the other night and it had been attacked by some kind of bot.