Author Topic: New Henrys axles  (Read 38814 times)

seán_

New Henrys axles
« on: December 06, 2005, 03:09:32 am »
They are out now.

go to
http://www.henrys-online.de/Webshop/enter.html?lang=en-us
and click news

Tuning-Set Allround

Tuning-Set Ultralight

Circus-Diabolo Tuning-Set

Circus-Diabolo Tuning-Set wide roller

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
New Henrys axles
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 05:26:26 am »
Hmm, they look pretty good. I already have purchased a tuning set for all 3 about a few months ago(I think it is the ultralight one) and they seem to work well for me. The only problems I have are that they are not good for fingergrinds/grinds, and the string tends to get caught a little more(but that might just be me or my dirty diabolos/string). On the plus side, the ultralight kit seems pretty stable for 3 high, and can be corrected using the string easier since the hubs are closer together. Just a little information i wanted to give about that set...
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Ben

• VotW Contributor
New Henrys axles
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 06:48:39 am »
am i just crazy or do the 1st and 3rd ones as well as a bit on the second.. have a huuuge drop from the hub to the axle?

wouldn’t this make a big gap that would force your string to kind of fall onto the axle instead of slide onto it if you catch on the hub? also wouldn’t this effect corrections and grinds?

or am i just looking at the pics weird?

Matt_

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 07:54:38 am »
yeah, i saw that too, i was about to comment...looks extremely strange.

and the first and third look very similar except for the curve..hmm..

well, at least they ship to the US now.

frank0072

New Henrys axles
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 08:21:08 am »
The gap was the first thing I noticed aswell. Seems to me that the strings wears out pretty quick when it scratches alongside such sharp edges all the time...

I am curious for opinions about the wide-axle, because the only reason I could think of to buy it is for finger grinds. So the question: does it work just as the finesses with finger-grinds and moves like that?

Does anybody already know the price of the stuff?
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Chiok

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 08:57:55 am »
Yeah, does seem a bit strange, might just be some confusion with the background and lighting.  When I first looked at the pictures, I didn't understand what I was looking at, bit like a magic picture.

The All-round one looks very nice, the Circus-Tuning one just looks plain weird and the Wide Roller seems just like the Evo 1.  frank0072 - the Finesse wide axle was primarily for fingergrinds but it's not limited to that.  The extra width between the cups means you get less accidental string rubbing on the cups causing turning and moves like Fan are a bit easier.  Henrys having a wide axle would be the same in theory, but some people like the Circus shape and weight more than the Finesse, so the difference actually lies in the diabolo.

I might get some new hubs, the ones on at the moment are already seeing a few bashes after only a weekend of having them!  Damn Henrys and their cheap hubs on Circuses.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Martijn

New Henrys axles
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 03:41:32 pm »
Thanks for sharing that Sean_! Great to see they finally have different versions. I won't be needing them for a while, cause I already have teflon hubs. The Henry's wide axle looks a little smaller than the Finesse wide axle though. But it should work just as fine as the Finesse version.

Quote from: frank0072
Does anybody already know the price of the stuff?

Does this answer your question?

Quote from: seán_
go to http://www.henrys-online.de/Webshop/enter.html?lang=en-us and click news
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Valium

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 03:49:43 pm »
nice and interesting but too expensive

Spooned

New Henrys axles
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 03:57:05 pm »
I <3 wide axels.
Diabolo or Diablo

Sean

• Administrator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 04:10:38 pm »
Argh! Now I want to try them all!

Thanks for sharing Seán... do you check the Henrys site every day!? ;)

Interesting that they don't seem to be selling the 'original' teflon hub - the one that comes with metal washers or hubs without axles and washers. Most people are just going to want to replace the hubs and nothing else. Money making scheme anyone?

Now, when is Henrys going to stop selling their diabolos with the crappy metal hubs?

Flo

New Henrys axles
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 06:10:44 pm »
Quote from: Ben

My first thought was: "Damn, whats this?"
But after thinking a while I realised one problem I had with other wide axels and finger tricks: your fingers get really hot so you can't hold it for a long time.
With this gap, the problem should be solved because you dont touch the metal with your skin!

cya sparx
German Diabolo Forum: http://www.diabolotreff.de/

Chiok

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 06:38:33 pm »
Quote from: Sean
Money making scheme anyone?

Now, when is Henrys going to stop selling their diabolos with the crappy metal hubs?
I think that says it all.  They're gonna keep making us shell out £25/$40/35 (i'm missing the sign for a Euro) for the diabolo and then make us spend another £18 buying replacement hubs for them.  Or does mashed up hubs count under their lifetime guarantee and they'll replace them for free...?

Does the more knowledgeable diaboloist really wanna spend more on their props to bring them to a standard at which they should already be.  I don't think anyone can say that it's an option, old crappy hubs, or new Poly hubs?  Hardly a choice now is it.  I'm just angry at all juggling manufacturers, they're never really looking out for the discerning juggler, I've got a gripe with all the major European ones...

Oh, and yes, thank you Seán for finding those lil gems.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

JC

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 07:03:40 pm »
I saw the Allround one on the European Juggling Convention in Slovenia.
There I showed my Ultra Light Kit to another german guy, then he showed me the Allround axe which he tested for Henrys.
My first thought was the same as Ben´s, you must hit the axle piece.

The reason is that you should get no hot fingers, like sparx mentioned, but I think this could be solved also in an other way, see my website for this.

Price for each of henrys kits is 18€.

@sean
the original cones are out of Aluminium, but Henry sells still some out of POM (the price is about 5€ for one cone).
www.diabolonet.de - email to: diabolo-kits@web.de
MONOBOLOS, Henrys Circus, Vision and MB Finesse with round shaped axles

Ben

• VotW Contributor
New Henrys axles
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 07:26:33 pm »
Quote from: sparx
But after thinking a while I realised one problem I had with other wide axels and finger tricks: your fingers get really hot so you can't hold it for a long time.
With this gap, the problem should be solved because you dont touch the metal with your skin!

cya sparx

uhh but my thinking is what about cuts? id think that even if the edges are dull which they dont look like they are in the pic that that it would be quite uncomfortable... to basically have two ridges spinning really fast on your finger.. not shore it would work out..

I want to try one though but yeah way to expensive

Matt_

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 07:58:05 pm »
Quote from: Chiok
Or does mashed up hubs count under their lifetime guarantee and they'll replace them for free...?

they're selling the metal hubs on the site too....ridiculous. at the very least, they should sell the "generic" plastic hubs (aka the ones that are the same dimensions as metal, they are just plastic).

man, the 3rd one looks really cool. seems like the 4erlei kit..

do you still use your original hardware with these? if they made lightweight washers and bolts i would definitely have to spring for these...

Graham

New Henrys axles
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 09:08:22 pm »
Sorry for a noob question, but what is the advantage of the concave curve on the Allround hubs? I can see how wider hubs could help, but it seems to me as if the curve would be a disadvantge compared to the straight-edged wide hubs, as it would make it harder for the string to reach the axle when catching etc. Could someone clarify this for me?

phunky

seán_

New Henrys axles
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 12:08:47 am »
could the big gap/drop be just a trick of the light?

@ Sean: of course I'm on it every day... how else am I going to show my boss the importance of a confusing website for any juggling concern???  Actually Tahias post on jongle tipped me off.

dynamaniac

New Henrys axles
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 01:01:09 am »
i have two circuses with the teflon hubs and im broke. this stuff is absurdly expensive... ahhhh how much could plastic hubs cost to produce anyways?

Matt_

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 03:06:19 am »
Quote from: phunky
Sorry for a noob question, but what is the advantage of the concave curve on the Allround hubs? I can see how wider hubs could help, but it seems to me as if the curve would be a disadvantge compared to the straight-edged wide hubs, as it would make it harder for the string to reach the axle when catching etc. Could someone clarify this for me?

phunky

i've used JC's (very) curved henry's axles, and i really like them. the curved thing is cool because it's splendid for finger grinds whilst not having the "pressure" on the string like the G2's Evo1 kit....and there are no problems like you are guessing, at least none that i have when i used it.

frank0072

New Henrys axles
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 09:06:24 am »
I think the gaps are a trick of the light aswell, that seems most logical to me.

By the way: does anybody know the material the axles are made of, my friend has all this machinery in his school so he might produce them himself, a lot cheaper :).
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")